Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Staying in Shape

For those of you following my previous blogs, you have been informed of my love of cookies. Alas, cookies come at a price- both in Euros and in pounds. Luckily, there are several ways to burn calories on campus.

There is a gym on campus, and study abroad students get free access. I am a reluctant user of the eliptical and the treadmill, but there are also weights, bikes, rowing machines, yoga balls, stair steppers, and anything else your inner aerobic instructer could desire.
The university also sports an olympic sized pool, the first one built in Ireland.

I joined the outdoor pursuits club, which means I get to climb the rock walls for free. Every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday night, OPC members will help you climb and teach you how to belay. It's a good workout, but be warned, your arms will hurt like they have never hurt before!

You do get some natural exercise even if you don't try. It's about a mile from my village to one of my classroom buildings, and if you are anything like me, you'll be jogging to class because you are running late.

I also decided to take an Irish dance tutorial for my music class. I thought I would go and learn a few Irish steps- It's a bit more intense than I anticipated. Like, I'm wearing shorts and a T-shirt, and a pony tail next class intense. They do a lot of hopping and jumping in Irish dancing!

Between eating all of the cookies and then burning off said cookie calories, my first few weeks haven't been boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment