Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Campus Life

Up until about three weeks ago, I had lived with my parents for my entire life. I knew that some adjustment would be necessary, and that living on my own outside the United States would offer its own source of little quirks-besides just the Euro.

Mother, I just want to take this opportunity to thank you for allowing me the free use of the washer and dryer. Sadly, this is not something offered at the UL (University of Limerick). There is no such thing as a laundromat in the city. (There are lauderettes, which wash your clothes for you-for a significant price). You can shell out five euro to wash and dry your clothing on campus in the tiny, third-of-the-size-of-an-American washer and dryer.

I have discovered the joys of hand washing clothing. On the bright side, the scrubbing burns calories.

Computing on campus is also a little different than in America. Wifi does not exist in my village, so I am once again corded to the wall with an LAN cable. My freedom is gone.

Future study abroad students be warned: THE KEYBOARDS ARE DIFFERENT! So, when you are typing in your new password, don't end up with a backslash instead of a capital letter. It will take you awhile to figure out, if you're anything like me.

The atmosphere on campus is much more relaxed than at home. In all of my classes, I have a project due in week nine or ten, and a final. And that's it. No homework. None. Nada. I review my notes, but that's it. It is freeing.

The Irish students feel the freedom as well. Now, as a Wisconsinite I have some knowledge of the bar scene. While I myself was not really a participator, I know a fair amount of my peers who enjoyed those particular establishments. They have nothing on the Irish students.

Most of the Irish students I have met are avid pub fans, and party Sunday through Thursday (they often go home for the weekend). Normally, a night doesn't pass when I don't here some sort of incoherent singing out my window. Many aren't too concerned with attending classes at this point in the semester, but I have been assured that the pubs empty around finals time.

Another small Irish quirk- the earliest class is at 9:00 am, and this is considered pretty early. It may have to do with the weather patterns. Here, at about 1:00 pm it still feels like 10:00 in the morning. I could still be adjusting to the time here, but I think it is more likely that the cloud cover helps out too.

I myself am enjoying the relaxed culture, and I have learned the delights of sleeping in until 10:00 on a school day.

No comments:

Post a Comment