Friday, January 22, 2010

First-Timer

First time in an airport. First time packing. First time flying. All of these pretty much describe my experience getting to Ireland.

I have always wanted to go to Ireland. The landscape has always looked gorgeous, and from the very little I have seen, the actual countryside does not disappoint. All of the people I have met have truly been as friendly as the stereotype suggests. It is a small, wonderful country with an amazing culture.

Getting here, however, was quite an experience. I began packing with every intention of bringing only one bag, fully stocked, for an entire four months. I thought it might take half a day to pack. Five days later, I was freaking out and making multiple trips to walmart. I did manage to pack everything into one bag, but my closet here is sadly understocked. I will simply have to shop and buy clothes here. Oh, what a shame. ;).

Getting to the Chicago airport was not as easy as I had hoped. Mapquest failed my boyfriend and me (or perhaps the navigator-namely me- was simply too directionally challenged), and we circled the airport at least three times before we found the entrance. Security was a new experience as well, and upon reflection I should have worn pants that did not require a belt with a metal buckle. Lesson learned.

The airplane from Chicago to Newark was much smaller than I imagined, and the plane ride a lot faster. I didn't think airplanes were made that thin. The airplane from Newark to Ireland was a lot bigger, and I thought it was a luxurious ride. I spent a total amount of three hours playing bejeweled.

We were driven from Shannon airport to our villages on the university campus. My first view of Irish countryside was amazing. It is a charming mix of rolling hills, older farmhouses, and new cars. So far, I love it.

More later,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment